Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Read Alouds

Chapter 13 in our textbook discusses reading aloud to children. This is also something that was covered in my RED class last semester. Page 387 quotes, "Reading aloud has made countless children thoughout time fall in love with a teacher who did it well and who did it often. And these teachers are never forotten. Memories, some of them now decades old, of being read aloud to inhabit the dusty corners of so many of our minds.." I know that auhtor Mem Fox has written an entire book about the benefits to reading aloud to our students and children of your own. Reading aloud creats an early love for reading without the students even being aware of it. It gives them something to look forward to at bedtime and gives them a personal bond to the parent/guardian who reads to them. Last semester my class went to Pinewoods Elementary school and chose a book to read to a few classes. I read the book "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie," and it was such a hit! I am definitely going to make a point to read at least one book a day aloud to my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment